Friday, February 1, 2013

Our Strings Program

by Madeleine and Wooyoung

The 5th graders in strings are having SO much fun! They go to strings on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week. Our teacher, Mrs.Tourville, teaches us and helps us improve. These are what the violin and viola people say (we took an interview):   

Name: Vincent
Type of Instrument: Violin

Q: What are you learning?

A: La Chase.

Q: What have you achieved this year?

A: I have passed five songs.

Q: What song are you practicing and why do you like it?

A: I am practicing La Chase. I like it because the melody is different from  other songs.

Q: Are you proud of your progress?

A: Yes I am. I don’t think I am the best violin player, I am proud of my work>  

Name: Izze
Type of Instrument: Viola

Question: What music are you learning?

Answer: La Chase and after

Q: What have you achieved this year?

A: More than half of the green Viola Book.

Q: What song are you practicing, and why do you like them?

A: La Chase and I think it is hard to get the tempo.

Q: Are you proud of your progress so far?

A: I am very proud of our progress in viola. I am not sure if I will continue, but it is not my thing.

Name: Lamia
Type of Instrument: Violin

Question: What music are you learning?

Answer: Minuet in the Style of Haydn

Q: What have you achieved this year?

A: I learned how to do slurs.

So far, 5th graders are making big progress and learning to really handle their instruments and play cool and fun music for the concert, which takes place in the CHS auditorium on February 5.
Right now, 5th graders are playing “Learn to Play in the Orchestra” by Ralph Matesky. This is a book to practice our skills. We are practicing “Trumpet Tune”, “Happy Dance”, “Barcarolle”, “Tomahawk” (one of our favorites), Minuet in the Style of Haydn”, and “Song of Brotherhood”. We are all excited about learning new things in 5th grade strings!

Some people are already in ViBravo (the Wydown Honors Orchestra) or practicing ViBravo music. We love the pieces that we are working on! These are the songs that ViBravo people are working on:

(Songs for the 1st concert only)

Hopak by Modest Mussorgsky



Orange Jam by Jeffrey Bishop


Jazz Pizzicato by Leroy Anderson and edited by Samuel Applebaum









No comments:

Post a Comment