Monday, November 17, 2014

Writing: Personal Narratives

    Personal Narrative Writing

Have you ever wondered what a Personal Narrative was? Well, my class and I have been making Personal Narrative stories.  A Personal Narrative is a small story from your life that is memorable to you. This story you will write down zooming in on all the details. Here is the Personal Narrative that I have been working on:

The First Time I Saw My Brother   
By: Ariana
I harden my grip on my backpack. I look down at my blue jeans and my white T-shirt. The March wind pushes my hair away from my face. I drag my feet across the gray cement that leads to the outdoors at Glenridge Elementary School.
A rush of excitement swung upon me. My mom had just given birth to my baby brother, and I am getting to see him for the first time! My heart is pounding like a drum and I feel my skin getting clammy.
I walk across the Glenridge blacktop with my sister Lucia in her pink sun dress and my dad. I really want to see my baby brother but there again I was nervous. What would he look like? Who will he look like? Will he look like me? Will he be cheerful? All these thoughts soared through my head I was so anxious to meet him!
“Jorge Eduardo is going to be so cute! I love some of the clothes he has. What will he eat?  Is he going to be funny? I can’t wait!” My little sister Lucia exclaims.
“I am sure Jorgito is going to be super cute and all of the things you said. I love his clothes especially his blue stuff!” I reply to my sister settling the thought.
  As I go into the car I see my dad’s face through the car mirror. He looks super happy. Which, reminds me of what my brother is going to look like. Will he look like my dad? He shares my dad’s name... I pull out a card from my backpack. I made it during recess for my brother.
    "What's that Ari?" my sister asks me.
    "It's a card that I made for mom and Jorgito" I said cheerfully.
    "Oh, That reminds me..." My sister starts but then she bends down to her backpack and unzips the smallest pocket of the many on her backpack.
    "Reminds you what honey?" My dad asks.
    " Oh, so everybody in my class made a card for my brother and my teacher gave me a poem about babies. I can't wait to show this all to mom and Jorgito." My sister says excitedly as she pulled out a thick yellow envelope stuffed with colourful papers. I look at my sister enormous stack and back at my card.
After that, my sister and my dad talk about my sisters day at school. I only half listen. My mind is away from the world thinking about my brother. I feel the sweat trickle down my forehead as I think more and more about my brother.
    Suddenly, We’re here at the hospital. I look outside and I see the big hospital doors with different towers and big labels. Then,  as I walk inside I look around. The clean and shiny walls & floor were glimmering silver from the light. I feel nervous for meeting my brother for the first time.
I walk to the elevator with my sister and dad. I see my sisters outstretched palm while her fingertips reach for the white button with a worn out arrow on it. As my sister presses the button the button turns an orangey shade red. "Almost there" said my dad with a mix of anxiety and excitement in his voice. I could feel the excitement in the air.
    Bling. Bloop. We are on the corresponding floor. I feel a new rush of excitement wave throughout me this time! I feel like I am jumping with each step. My card falls. I pick it up. My sister skips. I let out a squeal and... bam.
I face a polished wood door with a shiny metal handle.
I knock. "Come in" my mom says. I step in. I look around. There are white curtains, a big window, a closet, a T.V, A big bed, {where my mom sleeps} some gray chairs, and a crib. Crib...
    I hurry straight toward the crib forgetting everything else in the world. I don't think a cheetah could have run as fast as me. The crib was a hospital crib made out of mostly plastic with metal legs. There was a white mattress with two blankets on top. The mattress matches the perfectly white blankets.
The most adorable little baby looks up to me.
"He is sooooooo cute!". Lucia says
    "I have only 6 words to describe Jorgito. HE IS THE CUTEST BABY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I SAY
    My mom smiles. "Do you want to hold him?" She asks.
    "Can I?" I ask excitedly.
    "Sure. Let me get your brand-new baby brother." My dad said as he walks over to the crib. I sit down on a chair as my mom explains to me how to hold my brother. I squirm in the seat with excitement as my dad walks over to me with my brother. I inhale. Exhale. eek! I hold out my arms like my mom told me to as my dad puts my baby brother in my arms. I smile the biggest toothy smile ever. I look down at his big brown eyes. I feel his little feet move.
He is in a little white hospital shirt. He has on some white stretchy pants. He has some small white socks, Small white hat. He has so many small white things!
I feel my energy mild down partially not completely. I am going to get used to this I pretend to brag inside my head about my new baby brother and how awesome he is. Hooray with three hips for me! Still I feel like there was not a care or need in the world that could distract me now. I say to myself that this is the best thing that ever happened in history. After I handed my brother back to my dad for my sister’s turn I realized that I had been nervous for something I shouldn't have. I made a mental note to try not to be nervous for something that I shouldn't be nervous for as I picture the fun moments ahead of me. I will be able to play with him, feed him, and grow a strong friendship. As I think more and more about it I remember a quote my mom once said. “You only have got to be nervous to do whats wrong.”


    Would you enjoy writing a Personal Narrative story?

No comments:

Post a Comment